Wednesday 23 July 2008

Oh my! It really is Summertime!

School's out for Summer

Last week I responded to an article I had read in the media - only 162 days to go to Christmas! Today I am sitting in the office with an empty 'blog' screen facing me - I feel uninspired! This will be the last day for six weeks in which I will be able to sit here in solitude - my peace and quiet, the call of the telephone being my only distraction. In an hour I will have to down tools, grab the car key and dash into town to collect my youngest daughter from Nursery, later at 3.oopm I will be standing outside the School gate waiting for my eldest to vacate the Reception class for the last time.

Back in 1972, I recall leaving School for the summer holidays with recurring lyrics racing through my head and like many at the time would often burst into song with utter delight at the prospect of so many weeks free from the education system.

Released back in 1972, Alice Cooper's 'School's out for Summer' was an instant hit. Cooper has said he was inspired to write the song when answering the question, "What's the greatest three minutes of your life?". Says Cooper: "There's two times during the year. One is Christmas morning, when you're just getting ready to open the presents. The greed factor is right there. The next one is the last three minutes of the last day of school when you're sitting there and it's like a slow burning. I said, 'If we can catch that three minutes in a song, it's going to be so big'". and he was so right!




Well we got no choice
All the girls and boys
Makin all that noise'
Cause they found new toys
Well we can't salute ya
Can't find a flag
If that don't suit ya
That's a drag


School's out for summer
School's out forever
School's been blown to pieces
No more pencils
No more books
No more teacher's dirty looks

Well we got no class
And we got no principles
And we got no innocence
We can't even think of a word that rhymes

School's out for summer
School's out forever
School's been blown to pieces

No more pencils
No more books
No more teacher's dirty looks

Out for summer
Out till fall
We might not go back at all

School's out forever
School's out for summer
School's out with fever
School's out completely
A great song!
Well it's not Christmas (not yet! Only 155 days to go!), so gifts are not required to satisfy the 'greed factor'. But with plenty of days to fill, hopefully whilst the sun shines - remember Fishing in Devon at Newbarn Farm doesn't cost the earth and is an inexpensive way to occupy the kids whilst they drink in the gallons of fresh air!
And for those who haven't as yet booked that much awaited Summer Holiday we can offer luxury four star self catering cottages & fishing for families from Saturday 23rd August.
'School's out for Summer', make the most of your 'Devon Fishing Holiday'

No comments: